what is fountx™?
fountx is a tool to significantly boost the productivity and capability of your technical teams. Using fountx reduces maintenance downtime while improving accuracy, quality and safety performance. By projecting knowledge from expert to technician in an assisted reality environment that mirrors natural interaction, fountx helps you perform any maintenance task quickly and safely.
There are many ways you can boost productivity and lower costs with fountx:
- you avoid the need to deploy experts to remote locations to resolve low-level maintenance issues
- junior technicians can now perform more complex maintenance operations with an expert 'looking over their shoulder'
- pilots can access Maintenance Watch during pre-flight checks to allow operations to continue and avoid delays
- you can speed up decision-making during C and D checks when defects are identified
- you avoid the need remove an engine or components in the deployed environment to continue operations
- you can use one expert to reach out remotely to field operators and overcome technical skills shortages
- you can supervise trainees in a learning environment with the ability to record actions for playback and review
- fountx is your future Field Service Representative, allowing OEM experts to share data, manuals and repair schemes remotely with airline or military operators.
Developed by a world leading research organisation
The assisted reality technology behind fountx was developed by CSIRO, Australia’s premier industrial research organisation.
Assisted reality (AsR) leverages the benefits of augmented reality (AR), where sensory inputs such as sound and graphics are overlaid on real world environments. It also harnesses the power of 'smart glasses' to communicate remotely using telepresence. The assisted reality technology in fountx relies on advanced human-computer interactions (HCI) and human factors research to allow the technology to effectively ‘get out of the way’ of the user, giving them the spatial awareness they need to get the job done safely. This makes fountx a smart choice for complex industrial settings where safety is paramount.
Brought to you by an aerospace company that understands your needs
TAE understands the requirements of the aerospace, aviation and defence industries. We have developed fountx so it’s suitable for use in areas with restricted access and in hazard-filled workplaces, and for safety while performing complex tasks. We will continue to modify and improve fountx based on your feedback to meet the needs of our industry.
The fountx system
Unlike wearable technology designed for entertainment or the consumer market, fountx is purpose built for use in complex industrial environments.
The fountx system comprises an operator station and an expert station.
The operator station is a lightweight headset and a wearable computer. The headset features an unobtrusive, adjustable near eye display - essential for retaining spatial awareness. It also has a full HD camera for recording and image capture. You communicate with the expert via bone conducting headphones that sit below the ear so you remain alert to your surroundings.The wearable computer is housed in a formfitting backpack, designed around user comfort. It runs a standard Windows 10 operating system to allow access to the same software you’d find on your standard desktop, and minimum teleconferencing talk-time of 6 hours.
- 1280x720 unobtrusive near eye display
- Full HD 1080x1920 camera
- Full HD recording and picture capture
- Bone conducting headphones with microphone
- Up to 7 hours battery life
- Runs a Windows 10 operating system
- Able to be run on a wide range of applications (Skype and other video conferencing software)
- Handheld controller for mouse/keyboard control - can also be used to easily start/stop recording and take pictures from the headset camera
- Ability to use 3G/4G connection for communication
- Built in 802.11 b/g/n WiFi
- Intel Atom @ 1.91Ghz
- 3GB DDR3L RAM
- 120GB solid state drive
- Waterproof - No
- Comfortable elasticised headband a standard fit for most adults
- Backpack easy to wear and connect with fast-release cables
The expert station is a touch screen computer housed in an (optional) rugged travel case. It runs a Windows 10 operating system and annotation software that lets you draw over the top of most applications. The software behind fountx allows for a greater range of intuitive gesturing than other similar technologies to allow a more natural interaction.
The expert station can either be run as a stand-alone computer or connect to your network to integrate with existing systems.
The system can also run over a range of common teleconferencing tools that business already uses, enabling seemless introduction to an existing videoconferencing system if preferred.
- 1920x1080 touch screen display
- 1280x720 unobtrusive camera with warping software
- Arm that connects directly to monitors VESA mount for secure camera positioning
- Runs a Windows 10 operating system
- Ability to use standard headset or monitor speakers
- Annotation software that allows users to draw over the top of most applications
- Intel i5 @ 2.5Ghz
- 8GB RAM
- 240GB solid state drive
- Built in 802.11 b/g/n/ac WiFi
- Gigabit Ethernet